Friday, June 1, 2012

Dreams

These past few days, I have been on the road.  I always enjoy a good road trip, but it also exhausts me beyond belief.  And because I was on the trip for work, my mental capacity had already worn thin.  It wasn't hard to believe that I was exhausted each night that I retired to the cabin in the woods.  It was dark, quiet, and peaceful, and I managed to catch up on sleep I had missed over the past year (22 hours of sleep over two nights... YES!!!).

Yesterday was the last day of the month, and I forgot to write about how the month had gone.  I didn't have internet service up on top of the mountain, so I guess it would have been hard to even try to post on the site.  I went to bed last night relaxed and calm, and drifted off to sleep around 9pm.

Last night was quite an epic dream.  I don't get these dreams very often, but when I do they are powerful.  The last great dream I had was the one that told me I was pregnant with my daughter.  I can still remember that series of dreams, where I greeted a tiny girl in pigtails named Carly.  She had beautiful blue eyes and wore a little jean jacket.  I am not a terribly superstitious person, but this was the reason I broke down and took a pregnancy test (since I was told that I would not be having children).  And when it came back with a glaring positive, I knew it would be a girl, and she would be named Carly.

Last night's dream was just as powerful.  I can still remember all of the sights and smells and sounds of the dream.  It seemed very calm and relaxed, and I remember feeling at peace.  "All Will Be Well" by The Gabe Dixon Band was playing in the background, and I remember walking out onto a porch of a country house (it was a beautiful shade of blue with white trim).  I remembered noting the porch, because it was a wraparound porch, and I have always wanted a house with a porch that wrapped around.  The memory is so vivid I could sit and sketch the house right now.

I remember I was carrying a bunch of flowers--they were absolutely simple and beautiful. I remember there was a breeze and warm sunlight, so it must have been early evening.  I was wearing a sundress that was light and airy, and had tiny eyelets in the fabric.  I don't wear dresses, so that was an interesting image.  It was so relaxed and calm, and I remember feeling extremely happy. I was right where I needed to be, and everything was falling into place.

I remember hearing voices of random people talking out in the yard, and it seemed like a decent-sized group of people.  During the dream, I never went around the corner.  It was like all of the dream was spent focusing on the details, and not a lot of action ever happened.  I felt like I was dropped into a dream world, and I was busy figuring out any clues that would lead me to the story.

I do remember a smell that was very familiar.  I have tried my best to place that smell all day, but couldn't.  I guess, as in the dream of Carly, it might all eventually be revealed to me.  I remember it was a relaxing and comforting scent, and it was something very familiar.

I woke up this morning with a smile on my face.  With all that has happened over the past year, it was nice to have a dream that involved peace and calm.  I know that my life has been full of change, and it seems that life has really taken a turn for the better.  I have two children I absolutely adore, I have a boyfriend that is incredibly supportive and kind, I have friends that root me on in my journeys and welcome me into their lives, and I have a job that allows me to contribute to the lives of my students.  I know there is no coincidence that I would have a dream of peace and calm when my life is actually finding peace.

I still have to wonder... For a person that is not terribly superstitious, it seems strange that I get these important dreams at pivotal moments in my life.  I wonder if I will ever have that house with the wraparound porch, if I will pick flowers in a sundress, or if it was all meant to be something more?  I guess I could sit and worry about it, or enjoy the fact that I had a nice evening of peaceful slumber on the last day of the month.  It was quite a night to have such a dream. Is it asking too much for that peaceful moment to someday become a reality? :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment