Monday, August 13, 2012

One More Project Down!

I become frustrated often when I am not able to create my ideas.  I blame this excuse on my lack of attempts to pursue art. I am a perfectionist, and sometimes I will admit that I don't attempt something because I am afraid of the results.

One of my projects was to learn to decorate a cake.  Now I can bake, and have been doing so for many years.  Ever since I was a young child, I remember helping my mother bake cookies for Christmas, and decorate cakes.  Decorating a cake really meant smearing icing on the top of a cake in a pan, and decorating it with letters and candies.  My mother decorated cakes for a hobby, but she knew better than to pursue such a project with tiny hands around.

As I grew older, I knew that making cakes would be interesting.  I also knew it was hard work, and I gave applause to any person that was patient and steady enough to handle such a tedious task.  My hands shake terribly, so I pretty much assumed I would never write beautiful script on a cake.

I had a dream for many years that I would make my children's birthday cakes.  I knew they wouldn't be perfect, but they would be homemade, and from the heart.  The biggest thing that kept me from making their annual cakes was that I was afraid they wouldn't be cute enough.  I actually had nightmares of a cake that looked less like a monkey and more like an evil gremlin.  I really didn't want to be the cause of any toddler fears...

Tom decided he wanted a frog cake for his birthday.  I appreciate that he had no other real requirements than that it was a frog.  Or that it had a frog on it. Or it had some sort of frog theme.  Really, it would be pretty easy to make something that fell within those guidelines.

So, I started out with a design in my head.  Then I realized I didn't have THAT much talent, and went for something more realistic.  I scoured websites and watched YouTube videos my friend Becca posted for me. I really thought about the process, and what it would take to produce a realistic frog.  I accepted the fact that the cake was not going to look like my mental image.

And Carly wanted to help... I know that any time a 3-year old gets involved in a baking project, it's more about the experience and less about the result.  She was wielding a spoon of green icing through the decorating process, so as I looked at the final project, I was pretty darn impressed.

It's definitely a more cartoon cutesy version of a frog, but I think it turned out pretty darn cute! And we had a leftover cupcake from the batch, and the cake was delicious!  Looks like another project down!!! Hope he enjoys the results (even if it's a month late!!!)...

Tom's Frog Birthday Cake 


Onto the next project...

No comments:

Post a Comment