Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leap Day

I researched scientific and cultural information on Leap Day.  I reported to my findings to a group of coworkers (in case they were terribly interested in the history of Leap Day).  One of them looked at me puzzled and said "I don't know how you have time to remember all of these crazy facts?"  She was right...  I wonder how much more productive I would be if real stuff filled up the space where random fact is stored.  Part of me thinks I am bored, and am trying to keep my mind moving at a steady pace...

Females are encouraged to propose to males on Leap Day.  In the tradition of Leap Day in some European countries, if a man refuses he should then provide the female with enough fabric for a skirt, or with twelve pairs of gloves.  I figured if I played my cards right today, I could be set for the next season...

I was very excited about the idea of Leap Day a year ago when I realized it would occur in 2012.  I was thrilled about the idea of a bonus day!  I know that scientifically it isn't a real EXTRA day, but I like to think of it as a gimme.  Originally I was going to take the day off and do something exciting and new, but with the threat of rough weather I decided to stay at work and make the best of a normal day.

I will say I had a very interesting day! My drum lessons are going very well, and I even got a sticker for my progress (thanks Mandy!!).  I will say that from where I started until now has been TREMENDOUS progress. Won't be opening for any major bands just yet, but it's been so much fun!  I have really enjoyed learning a new skill and making a good friend.

I decided to return to graduate school.  I actually completed and submitted the application materials yesterday.  Who knows what the future will bring, and where I will end up?  I do know I would like to continue toward another graduate degree.  I have always liked learning, and I wonder if my need for the random information is a comfort because I am not in school.  The reality is that I cannot attend school forever, so I will need to find a way to remain settled with the mundane.  Life is never really boring; it just feels like it moves in slow motion at times.  I am thinking that returning to graduate school will kickstart my brain, and return me to pushing my intellect.

So, at the end of another month, on a very special year indeed, I have made some big decisions:

1. I will not be going on tour with a rock band just yet, but I am making progress. Perhaps a faculty band?

2. I will be going back to graduate school, pending any life-changing, earth-shattering events (I have almost learned to plan for them at this point).

3. I guess I am going to have to buy my own gloves...

No comments:

Post a Comment