Sunday, March 4, 2012

Going off the grid...

One of my goals in this project is to take a road trip (previously named "Travel to Another Country").  For those of you that didn't follow my journey at that time, let me recap:

I had originally set the goal of traveling out of the country, but didn't have a destination in mind.  I had ventured to Europe fresh out of high school, but had never again made a leap.  Life got in the way, and I was never available to take more than a few days to go away.  Any other country needs to be explored, and I felt my lack of time wouldn't do it justice.

I realized that I could throw together a trip to another country "just because," but I really craved going "off the grid" for a while.  I needed to get out and explore the world around me, and I had plenty of places to see.  The idea of a road trip sounded even better...

So now I am looking at travel sites, Mapquest, and various tourism information.  I have a few ideas where I want to go, but part of the thrill is knowing I have time to stop where I please.  The fun of traveling without a particular destination is that you get to really SEE the world for what it is.  I love stopping in small little towns that don't even know how to pretend for tourists.  I enjoy trying different foods, talking to locals, and snapping pictures of my escapades.  I like the idea that I can be anyone I want to be when I am out on the road.  The possibilities are endless...

I am really at the point in my life where I enjoy the world around me.  I wonder what is so appealing about going "off the grid?"  I believe it is because everyone needs a temporary reset--a time when we are able to relax, meditate, and mull over our problems.  It's nice to have time to sit and think about the future, to comprehend the past, and to embrace the excitement of stopping for a taco or putt-putt golf when you feel like it.  My time to travel is approaching, and I am beyond thrilled.  This is an adventure that I have been planning for a lifetime--I have been waiting for a period in my life when I can break free and explore the world around me.  Even if it is just for five days, these will be incredibly introspective and enlightening days.  After all, I have twenty-nine years of life to ponder...

No comments:

Post a Comment